Tuesday, May 8, 2012

This semester has made me think about all sorts of things. One topic that I have really started to think about that combines techno-science and ecology is the GMO argument. Before this semester I did not know very much about the pros and cons of GMOs. I knew the basics but not much more than that. However, in this course I have see the pluses and minuses when we combine technology and ecology. I have been interested in issues with food and farming for a little while now and how the process of making food impacts our environment and health but GMOs were something that I was actually in support of. I thought that they were a good idea. I mean, if we can produce crops that are drought or flood or pest resistant wouldn't that be great? Drought or flood resistant would be fairly good but in order to make a crop pest resistant we would have to constantly be making new crops because the pests would adapt to the genes in the crops. Also, if we produce crops that grow well on their own than people will throw the traditional method of growing to the side. This would be a big problem because, generally, in traditional methods, there are multiple crops going in one place so if one crop fails then there are still other options for food. This way of farming doesn't just serve as a safety net incase a crop fails but it also provides a more balanced diet. These are things that I have begun to think about this semester and thoughts that have evolved through reading, discussing and writing this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment